Tuesday 27 May 2014

Idiosyncrasies Or Something More

Hello everyone
      I have a little writing quirk I'd like to share with you. I can't write unless I have Batty with me. He is a small, plastic vampire bat and was given to me by my son about 20 years ago. I thought he was cute, so put him on my desk and that days writing was amazing.  The words just flew from brain to hand to pen, I achieved so much in such a short space of time.
     The next day was hot and sunny so I wrote in the garden, Batty didn't come with me (I'd kind of forgotten about him by then) and my words died on the page. I struggled to form even a basic sentence. After putting it down to a bad day, I gave up. The next day was wet, as is usual with our weather, so I wrote at my desk with Batty watching over me and the words came alive.
     I looked at Batty. Could it be possible that he was somehow responsible? Was he a lucky bat? For the next week I kept him in my pocket whenever I wrote and the words just danced ; plot ideas fell into place, situations I'd been struggling with became clear and I wrote prolifically.
     My mind told me Batty was the reason. Somewhere within the whorls of my brain, Batty had been attributed with magic powers. He knows all my stories and helps with plot and structure. I'd never be without him, fearing my writing would shrivel and die without his assistance.
     But now I think I may have picked up another quirk, quite by accident. I'd just washed my hair and was sitting in the sun drying it while I wrote, but the breeze was blowing the shorter bits into my face. I need a hairband, I thought, but all I could find at the time was my granddaughter's cat ears band, so I put it on and yes, you've guessed it, my writing sparkled. It was like my fingers had been possessed by a demon, I couldn't get the words down fast enough; the power of Batty had been magnified.
     So is it simply association? I would have had a good writing day without Batty or the cat ears or does it go deeper. The power of suggestion on a susceptible mind, something tells me I'll never know. I'll keep you posted on my crazy ideas.
     I'd also like to know if anyone else has any little quirks or rituals they have to carry out before they do specific things. Do you have lucky socks? Or a special charm that appears to have magical properties (my friend has a parking angel in her car) You never know, there might be a story in it. Until next time, enjoy your little idiosyncrasies, they could be beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment