Sunday 16 February 2014

A Crappy Week

Hello everyone. What a non productive five days. Its been one of those weeks when anything that could go wrong, did.
     Firstly I've got agonising toothache (serves me right I guess, as I broke a back tooth a while ago and never got it fixed) Finally I got an appointment for Wednesday, so I'm going to be in pain a while longer. On the plus side, if there is one to toothache, living on a bowl of porridge and copious amounts of coffee for the week, I've lost 4lb.
     The second thing to go wrong was that I had an E learning course to do for work. What should have taken an hour to complete, did in fact take nearly three. My laptop was not happy with the site. So that was another day wasted where no writing got done.
     I've also had cat trouble. My little girl Moo decided she was going to help with everything I tried to do. After getting up at 4.30am, I set out to get a lot of writing done, but Moo had other ideas. First she wanted feeding, so did her brother Cobweb, but while he went back to bed, she decided to sit on everything I tried to do. First she jumped on my keyboard and sent my work off to God knows where, but it took a long time to get it back. So I moved to the old fashioned pen and paper for my short story (do you know how hard it is to write with a cat chewing the end of your pen and rolling over your book) I also sustained several deep scratches because I tried to push her off, so I gave up.
     In between that I've been nursing my tooth and feeling sorry for myself. But all was not lost. I did finish chapter four of the novel and one of the short stories as a first draft and even wrote a blurb for the back of the book. What do you think?
     Nine years is a long time. 108  months, 468 weeks, 3285 days. nine years is a long time to be unhappy, even longer to be tormented. But at 14 that had already happened to Janet Peterson. After nine years and a frightening twist of fate, the critical mass had been reached and something was about to snap.
     Not bad eh? Might need a bit of tweaking, but okay for a first attempt. Unfortunately the novel still doesn't have a title. I've gone through hundreds of ideas but not gelled with any of them.
     As a change of scene, I went to Tonbridge last weekend, before the toothache got me and looked at the flooding. The castle grounds and playing fields were all under water. It was a very weird feeling, kind of eerie and surreal. Everything felt different. Picnic tables were up to their necks in water, swings were in the middle of lakes and benches were almost completely submerged. I got plenty of photos and with my imagination working overtime a few story ideas as well. (I got a story idea from the snow last year, but still haven't got round to finishing it) I start these things with gusto and then dwindle off before finishing them when I think of something more interesting or exciting. If a story doesn't grip or move me in some way, I abandon it. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but I figure if I don't like it, then why should anyone else.
     Anyway that's about all for this week, I'll be back again next week, or sooner if something exciting happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment